- Blastr has posted a gallery of 14 unsettling examples of horror-villain movie makeup
- Dr Who Experience Pics: Giant Robots, Cybermen and Daleks are coming to London next week
- EC Comunicação placed typewriters in computer departments to promote Penguin books… in an age of e-books. Makes you wonder why large publisher are struggling, doesn’t it? Via
- Time Magazine has posted a gallery of the 100 most influential toys of all time.
- Interview: Underwords interviews Shiai Mata, founder of SlayerLit
- Is New York preparing for the zombie apocalypse? The Wall Street Journal considers the question of Zombies and International Relations.
- Arts & Faith names its picks for the Top 25 Horror Films.
- Can you name all 39 Eighties movies referenced in this Atomic Tom music video?
- IGN wonders Is Snyder’s Superman in Trouble?
- Inception May Be Oscar’s Last Chance To Award Originality
- News: Felicia Day To Star In Live-Action ‘Dragon Age’ Web Series
- 52 Cups of Coffee: one girl’s year-long experiment with caffeine and conversation. “Each week for a year, I’m having coffee with someone I don’t know and writing about what I learn along the way.”
- The Cat Bytes is the latest webcomic on the block.
- Law and the Multiverse examines Superhero Organizations and Business Entities.
- Neovella lets you write collaborative stories with friends (or strangers) online.
- Nonprofit Leadership: 5 Things We Can Learn from Buffy (the Vampire Slayer)
- Interview: Actu SF interviews Robin Hobb.
- Interview: Amanda Downum of The Drowning City talks with Booklife Now.
- Interview: Angela James, Executive Editor of Carina Press, joins Dragon Page to talk about the digital book marketplace, and some of the changing trends in reading habits, reading formats, and options for a wider range of authors, and more.
- Interview: BSC Review talks about the Imager series with L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
- Interview: The Civilian Reader has an interview with Jon Courtenay Grimwood, author of The Fallen Blade.
- Interview: Gary K. Wolfe talks with Cheryl Morgan on Vimeo.
- Interview: Jeff VanderMeer interviews Kevin Brockmeier, author of Illumination.
- Interview: Kij Johnson talks about her short fiction.
- Interview: Lisa Mannetti of The Gentling Box talks with Little Miss Zombie.
- Interview: Thirteen Years Later author Jasper Kent answers Suvudu’s questions.
- News: Borders filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this morning, announcing it would close about 200 of its 650 or so remaining stores. Some people think the bankruptcy is Borders’ penalty for being a step slow. Here’s a list of Borders store closings. [PDF]
- News: Measure L: Due To Severe Budget Cuts, L.A. Librarians Struggle to Help Students and Families
- Borders In Bankruptcy. Is Your Bookstore Next?
- Leo Grin discusses The Bankrupt Nihilism of Our Fallen Fantasists. Fantasy author Joe Abercrombie responds.
- Margaret Atwood Compares Authors To Dead Moose
- Remember last year, when Nancy Kress had a weird run-in with people who’d been pirating her books? Well, they got in touch again.
- Tour the ruins that inspired Lovecraft’s R’lyeh
- “Vampires may be popular, but they’ve paid a terrible price for it. Simply put, they’re not scary any more.“
- What Would You Do to Save Borders?
- Interview: Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks about meeting Carl Sagan as a teenager.
- Inform is a design system for interactive fiction based on natural language. It is a radical reinvention of the way interactive fiction is designed, guided by contemporary work in semantics and by the practical experience of some of the world’s best-known writers of IF.
- What’s With Watson’s Weird Bets? And Other Questions About IBM’s Trivia Wiz
- Why Watson on Jeopardy is AI’s Moon Landing Moment
- Widescreen Tablets Coming Soon: In what might be the Next Big Thing in the tablet wars, Samsung and other manufacturers are unveiling Android slates with a nearly 16:9 aspect ratio – the format most movies are produced in.
- Interview: CinemaBlend interviews Being Human’s Sam Witwer. [Part 2]
- Interview: Slice of SciFi interviews Fringe Producers Jeff Pinker and J.H. Wyman.
- News: ‘Wonder Woman’: Adrianne Palicki lassoes starring role on TV show
- Joss Whedon and Scientific Facts
- ‘My Life as Liz’ and the evolution of the MTV nerd
- SyFy names TV’s Finest Robots… turns out that film gets all of the best bots.
- Study: Violent Games Do Not Desensitize Players to Violence
- U.S. Congressional Caucus For Entertainment Technology Launched
- Virtual Worlds Watch Every Move You Make
- Cat Rambo suggests 3 Strategies for Snaring the Senses.
- Tobias Buckell discusses Kindle, Apple, and the myth of “direct” self published eBooks.